Indiana – General Manager – SMG/Old National Events Plaza – Evansville, IN
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the General Manger at SMG- Old National Events Plaza in Evansville, IN. The General Manager is responsible for overall management, promotion and operation of the facilities, including purchasing, booking, marketing, finance, human resources, food and beverage, box office, advertising, security, production, maintenance, parking and related operations by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for managing multiple facilities including the Convention Center and Old Courthouse
- Maintains active contact with the Client/Contract Administrator. Monitors SMG compliance with all provisions of the services contract
- Plans, supervises, manages, oversees and evaluates the activities and operations of the facilities
- Oversee implementation of SMG Best Practices for operations, security, event management and other similar programs
- Recommends, establishes and enforces facility operations policies and procedures
- Schedules, coordinates, prepares, approves and monitors permits for use of the facilities by outside groups; responds to and answers questions regarding facility rental policies and procedures and resolves complaints; checks room and facility availability for rentals; meets with permitees to determine requirements and fees to be charged
- Prepares preliminary budget requests and monitors facility accounts and budget; researches and recommends the purchase of facilities supplies and materials, athletic equipment; requisitions and inventories facility materials, equipment and supplies
- Negotiates lease agreements as determined necessary and in the best interests of the facilities
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, entertainment industry, community and civic organizations to encourage continual and regular use of the facilities
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: matters of training and development; quality assurance; energy efficiency; safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as needed
- Develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the management contract, the Client’s objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facilities
- Assists and coordinates with the development of the annual operating calendar, activity schedules, projections for attendance and/or revenue
- Conducts marketing, budgeting and weekly staff meetings
- Directs the development and administers the execution of operating and marketing financial plans and documents; to include, operating revenue and expense budgets; capital expense plans and budgets
- Provides for control of day-to-day operations; assuring the coordination of plans, programs and events; conducts post-event operational and financial review and analysis
- Provides final approval of all contracts and agreements with suppliers, promoters, and tenants for necessary activities and services at the facility
- Provides or coordinates for timely and effective response to directives and requests received from internal and external organizations, agencies, departments and individuals; assures and maintains the integrity of the facility and SMG in all forms of communication and personal contacts
- Oversees and advises Human Resources on any necessary revisions/modifications to the staffing plans, including number and types of employees, essential functions, salaries, and benefits
- Implements and maintains a high-standard for guest services, including initiatives for employee training, employee recognition/rewards
- Assures the administration of personnel and the operation of facilities are conducted in accordance with applicable local, state and federal regulations
- Evaluates facility practices and recommends improvements to better reflect the needs of the Client and the facility and/or to improve the efficiency and safety of operations, in compliance with SMG policies and procedures
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the tenants, employees, union representatives and the general public
- Manages subordinate Directors and Managers who supervise employees in the Finance, Marketing, Operations, Food & Beverage Departments or other facility departments
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA) from a four-year accredited college or university with major course work in business or public administration or related field
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience industry experience in a senior management function of an Arena, Convention Center or stadium, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in contract negotiation, business law, purchasing procedures, and supervising personnel
- Experience in labor relations and union contracts, if applicable
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices used in the successful management of entertainment or convention facilities of a similar description
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the entertainment industry
- Considerable knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, convention and entertainment industry
- Basic knowledge of facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions
- Ability to manage a facility of same size and type
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient In Word and Excel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Please send a copy of your most recent resume and cover letter which includes salary requirements to:
SMG- Old National Events Plaza
715 Locust Street
Evansville, IN 44708
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- (812) 435-5770