Rochester, NY – General Manager – SMG/Kodak Center Theatre – Rochester, NY
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for a General Manger at SMG – Kodak Center Theater in Rochester, NY. The General Manager will be responsible for leadership of the overall daily management and promotion of the Theatre; including oversight of all departments including without limitation, sales, booking, marketing, finance and accounting, human resources, food and beverage, box office, advertising, security, purchasing, event production, , parking and related operations.
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Establishes and maintains active contact and an effective working relationship with the Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, entertainment industry, community and civic organizations, as well as, union representatives (where applicable) to encourage continual and regular use of the facilities.
- Contact prospective promoters, agents, managers and individuals to initiate the booking effort. Negotiate venue deals with promoters and/or agents. Follow-up on leads generated by outside sources.
- Monitors compliance with all provisions of SMG’s management services contract and develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the contract, the Client’s objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office.
- Directs the development, administration and execution of all financial and operating reports including: preliminary budget, capital expenses, operating revenue, expense budgets, etc.
- Ensures that the facility materials, equipment and supplies are inventoried; additionally approves the purchase of facilities supplies, materials, and equipment as needed.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining the facility, as well as, direction and oversight of the day-to-day operations and the booking and promotion of events.
- Negotiates and provides final approval on all contractual agreements with vendors, and use agreements with event organizers, hosts, managers and producers.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: maintain high-standards for guest services, employee training and development, quality assurance, energy efficiency, safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as required.
- Oversees the development of the annual business plan, including; event calendar, activity schedules, sales and marketing activities and goals, service objectives and projections for attendance and/or revenue.
- Conduct weekly meetings with senior staff, as well as regular meetings with contract administrator, municipal leaders, marketing/alliance partners, budgeting and staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Manages subordinate Directors and Managers who supervise employees in the Finance, Marketing, Operations, Food & Beverage Departments or other facility departments. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA) from a four-year accredited college or university with major course work in business or public administration or related field
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience industry experience in a senior management function of a Theatre, Arena, Convention Center or stadium, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in contract negotiation, business law, purchasing procedures, and supervising personnel
- Experience in labor relations and union contracts, if applicable
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices used in the successful management of entertainment or convention facilities of a similar description
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the entertainment industry
- Considerable knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, convention and entertainment industry
- Basic knowledge of facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions
- Ability to manage a facility of same size and type
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient In Word and Excel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Please send a copy of your most recent resume and cover letter which includes salary requirements to:
SMG- Kodak Center Theater
300 Conshohocken State Road, Suite 450
West Conshohocken, PA 19428
Email Address- firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax Number- 610-729-1592
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- 610-729-1074.