Syracuse, NY – Human Resource Manager – SMG/The Oncenter – Syracuse, NY
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for a Human Resource Manager at The Oncenter/SMG. The Human Resource Manager is responsible for performing all aspects of Human Resource Operations, as well as administration and maintenance of all Facility Benefit Programs, consistent with SMG policies by performing the following duties:
- Follows SMG Human Resources policies to assure compliance with legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions. Maintains compliance with state regulations concerning employment.
- Administers various Human Resources plans and procedures for all facility personnel.
- Performs recruitment activities. Writes and places advertisements and maintains websites. Recruits, interviews, tests, and selects employees to fill vacant positions. Makes job offers. Plans and conducts new employee orientations.
- Keeps records of benefits plans participation such as insurance and pension plan, personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics for government reporting. Updates and maintains Company HRIS/Payroll system.
- Ensures compliance with Federal Affirmative Action program requirements.
- Coordinates training or trains Managers in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance management, performance review, safety, and sexual harassment. Coordinates training or trains employees in SMG Customer Service Training.
- Advises management of appropriate resolution of employee relations issues. Advises the corporate office of EEOC complaints and other employee relations problems.
- Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
- Administers performance review and salary administration program.
- Administers benefits programs such as life, health, dental and disability insurances, 401k, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee assistance. Serves as the COBRA Administrator for facility. Monitors and approves benefit program billings.
- Investigates accidents and prepares reports for insurance carrier.
- Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts exit interviews as appropriate to determine reasons behind separations.
- Plans and participates in negotiations of union contracts, grievance resolution, mediation and arbitration. Actively works on developing and maintaining a professional positive working relationship with union representatives at all levels.
- Promotes positive employer/employee and labor relations. Represents HR on company committee to develop programs and communication vehicles to support such. Examples: Staff Newsletter, Employee Recognition Program, Service Award Programs and social events.
- Advises and counsels management and staff regarding a wide variety of human resource topics and issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises administrative employees in the Human Resources Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA) from four-year college or university.
- 3+ years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Generalist experience preferred.
- Experience administering benefit programs.
- Labor Relations experience desired.
Skills and Abilities
- Solid knowledge of principals and practices of personnel administration.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills essential. Must be able to communicate with and establish effective working relationships with staff at all levels as well as union leadership.
- Possess strong professional ethics and ability to promote the same throughout the organization.
- Knowledge of COBRA, ERISA, FMLA, ADA, FLSA and related state and federal regulations required.
- Ability to demonstrate experience as a hands-on practitioner.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with ADP or similar HRIS software / payroll systems desirable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- No certifications are required.
- HRCI and/or SMRM Certification a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to work both indoors and outdoors as required by the function. Must have the physical ability to maneuver around facility(ies), at times, walking and/or standing for 8-10 hours or greater as required.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Please send a copy of your most recent resume and cover letter which includes salary requirements to:
800 South State St
Syracuse, NY 13202
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may call 315-435-8062.