Philadelphia, PA (December 18, 2013) – SMG, the worldwide leader in venue management, is proud to announce the NCAA selected eight SMG-managed venues to serve as host sites for upcoming NCAA tournament regionals and championships.
The list of SMG host sites includes:
- Five Flags Center (Dubuque, Iowa) – 2014 Division III Wrestling Regional
- Chesapeake Energy Arena (Oklahoma City, Okla.) – 2015 Division I Women’s Basketball Regional
- Times Union Center (Albany, NY) – 2015 Division I Women’s Basketball Regional and the 2016 Division I Men’s Ice Hockey East Regional championships
- Dunkin’ Donuts Center (Providence, RI) – 2015 Division I Men’s Hockey Northeast Regional
- Verizon Wireless Arena (Manchester, NH) – 2015 Division I Men’s Hockey Northeast Regional
- DCU Center (Worcester, Ma) – 2016 Division I Men’s Hockey Northeast Regional
- Denny Sanford Premium Center (Sioux Falls, SD) – 2016 Division II Men’s Wrestling Championship
- Greater Columbus Convention Center Columbus, Ohio) – 2016 Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship
“SMG is honored to have so many of our venues chosen by the NCAA to serve as host sites,” said SMG President and CEO Wes Westley. “These tournaments are an excellent opportunity to showcase our venues and the dedicated staff who will provide a first-class experience for the NCAA and the student-athletes competing in these championships.”
The announcement was made December 11 when the NCAA announced 523 sites to serve as hosts for 82 of its 89 championships for the 2014-2018 seasons. According to the NCAA official release, the original pool of bids included 1,984 submissions. Sites were selected by the respective sport committees, made up of coaches and administrators from NCAA member schools and conferences, and ultimately approved by the appropriate divisional championship cabinets or committees.
Founded in 1977, SMG provides management services to more than 230 public assembly facilities including convention and exhibition centers, arenas, stadiums, theatres, performing arts centers, equestrian facilities, science centers and a variety of other venues. With facilities across the globe, SMG manages more than 14.4 million square feet of exhibition space and over 1.75 million sports and entertainment seats. As the recognized global industry leader, SMG provides venue management, sales, marketing, event booking and programming, construction and design consulting, and pre-opening services for such landmark facilities as McCormick Place & Soldier Field in Chicago, Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, Houston’s Reliant Park and the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. SMG also offers food and beverage operations through its concessions, catering and special events division, SAVOR, currently servicing more than 100 accounts worldwide. For more information visit www.smgworld.com
SMG Senior Vice President: